My Little Man

My Little Man

Thursday, September 30, 2010

It's that time of year..

Fall is definitely in the air.  I absolutely love this time of the year for a variety of reasons.  I love the temperature as it seems to get cooler outside.  Don't get me wrong, I love the warm weather but am ready for some cooler temps.  I love driving down the road and seeing the beautiful colors of leaves hanging from the trees although this year it seems that the leaves are falling before they seem to change colors.  I am not a big fan of Halloween, but enjoy the tons of candy that I seem to accumulate throughout the month of October.  I enjoy being able to walk outside and not having to take another shower just because I was outside longer than 20 minutes.  My most favorite thing about the fall has to be Tennessee Football.  Growing up, my family and I spent every Saturday in Knoxville going to the UT Football games.  This time of year is bitter sweet for me now though.  Ever since my grandfather passed away it seems to just not be the same.  For some reason this year, I am missing him and thinking about him constantly.  I have found myself several times just breaking down in tears because of how much I miss him.  I miss so many things about this great man.
1. I miss his wonderful smile
2. I miss his amazing outlook on life.  
3. I miss his Godly wisdom that he always had
4. I miss his love for Tennessee football and pushing him up the huge hill to our seats at the games : )
5.  I miss him seeing me graduate & coming to my last college basketball game
6. I miss his hilarious sense of humor.
7. I miss his friendliness.
8.  I miss him being there for me.
9. I miss being able to pick up the phone and dial his number just to talk to him.
10.  I miss traveling with him.

I feel like I could go on and on about the things that I miss about my grandfather.  He truly was an amazing Godly man and I wouldn't have traded him for the world.  I loved this man more than words. I wish that I would have taken more time to spend with him while he was still here with us.  Tennessee football has been so hard for me this year because every time I go to the stadium I immediately think of him.  Every one of my childhood memories at UT games had him in them.  He would have done anything for me or any other of his grandkids.  He def. spoiled us and I never questioned how much he loved and cared for each one of us.  He never met a stranger.  He was the friendliest person that I have ever known and everyone who met him loved him.  I don't know why this year has been so difficult for me, but what keeps me going is knowing that I will see him again one day.  I can imagine him waiting for me at the gates of heaven.  I truly look forward to the day when I see him again, but until then I have wonderful memories to remember him by!!!  I love you Papaw!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Well thanks for the tears allie! I know we've talked about this recently and I agree 100%. I will have to follow up this post sometime in the near future as well...

    I think it's Caleb's role in your life now that brings this up. I was the exact same way with john and then with rader. He would have LOVED getting to know them and the boys families!!

    I can hear him now bragging to all he meets about all 3 of them AND your amazing adventures :) He would be sooo proud. love you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is so precious, Allie! Certain times of the year definitely make us miss those special people we've lost. I feel like that about Bam. You papaw was awesome and I'm glad I got to hang out with him alot:-) He'd be so proud of who you've turned out to be. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I was doing soooo well until I got to this post. Thanks for the cry-fest. Papaw Neil would definitely be very proud of you and Brandon and Courtney, as well. I can't even imagine how much he would've loved Rader. But you said it, we'll be seeing him again:)

    ReplyDelete